Saturday, April 12, 2008

International Night!!!

Well last night was international night at the University of Findlay. It is like a huge fair with tables set up everywhere.. Every section represents a country that has students going to school there.. They will have toys,clothes,instruments.. anything that is unique from their country.. Then at five the food comes out.. You can go from table to table trying the different kinds of food. All the students are dressed in their native clothes.. Then at 7 you go in a room and each country puts on a skit or performs a dance or something that is from their country.. example... Saudi Arabia did a skit about the ritual of choosing a wife and getting married.. South Korea did Tae Kwon Doe ,and India did awesome dancing.. So as you can tell it is a big night.. Very educational and fun for the kids. alot of the children there seem so uncomfortable with it but since my children have grown up with being around other cultures they are always right at home.. Well Bandar loves every year to show off the kids.. so they dress with him and we go.. Well Randi Jo's Abaya doesn't fit anymore so she was allowed to go normal.. I bet Justin and Layton had their pictures taken 30 times..Everyone had to have a picture with them,, They loved every bit of it.
Here are some random pictures I took of the night. I know there were other countries there but I only have pictures of the arabs.. Sorry but I am a bit biased. :)

This is Layton and Bandar. Layton's scarf kept falling off so Bandar did a fancy fold with it. Layton "LOVED" it. There are a hundred ways to wear the thing and everytime you want a picture they are worse than girls. It takes them an hour to fix it... Too funny.
This is Randi Jo and Saud. Saud has a great sense of humor and Randi thinks he is the greatest.
This is Bandar in the formal robes. This is what he would wear to his wedding,or a formal event.They came and got Justin and Layton to walk in the Parade of Nations. Layton could not have been prouder. (BTW Layton is a boy I babysit for and have for years now. He really looks up to Bandar)
Here are my three boys, dressed and ready to start the night.

Bandar and Randi Jo watching the entertainment.

Justin walking around. One of the few times he didn't have people wanting his attention.. Isn't he handsome. He will be 16 in a week and was a little uncomfortable at first,but soon lost that after he saw how popular he was and how proud Bandar was.

I love this picture of Layton. It shows just how happy he was.. he had a great time. I was so amazed at how comfortable he was there. He tried lots of the food, and heard 100 times how cute he was. He will remember that for a long time. He loved finally being able to wear his outfit.
As for adoption news. Well there is none. Word from Jose is that Jazlynn is cutting a tooth. Her first. She is growing up without me. I so hope we hear something this week.. We will have been in PGN for 5 weeks Tuesday.

5 comments:

Bobbi said...

How great is that?? International night. I wish our schools did that. It is amazing how children who grow up with diversity are much more comfortable with those things. My girls soak it all in now. They just want to learn more.

Loved all the pics.

Hope you hear some news this week.

Pam L said...

What a neat evening! Looks like everyone had a great time.
Our middle daughter Kelsey is turning 16 in a week also, on the 19th. Happy Birthday Justin! I'm sure he's counting down the days to "drive time", I know Kelsey is.
Hope you hear GREAT PGN news this week!

Guatemama said...

Yea! It looks like a fabulous night. Reminds me of international week at OU when I was there. So much fun and wonderful for all your kids to learn about other cultures. I love the pictures.
Tracy

Steph said...

Darn! I wish I would have known! We could have met you there! Looks like tons of fun.

Okay, news is coming soon...come on PGN.

Beth said...

What an amazing experience. I am floored. Your kids (and YOU) are so blessed.

We are all waiting on pins and needles for news... patiently, of course.